Tuesday, July 22, 2008

 

Passing on the Mold

The New York Times science Q&A section has a question on mold: If there's some on the surface of food, has it permeated throughout? Their answer, quoting the US Department of Agriculture, is yes, it may well have. By the time you see the surface mold, root threads are embedded.
Some molds can cause strong allergic reactions, including respiratory problems, in susceptible people. And in some varieties, the threads produce toxic substances called mycotoxins, which can make people very sick.
Eww, not good. If you're really feeling adventurous, go for a "safe" mold: blue cheese.

Labels: , ,

Comments: Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?